A peek into the circus that is our life!

A peek into the circus that is our life!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Things I never imagined saying...

I am sure all parents have experienced it:  something comes out of your mouth and you immediately think "I never imagined saying that!"  I seem to encounter those moments every day.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  "Don't eat that dirt."  "Underwear are for bottoms, not heads."  "We don't eat in the bathroom."  We've all said them, most days I've been known to say many!

Back in the day of only two children, when Rebecca was nearly three and Mariah was under a year, Brian and I took the girls to Friendly's.  It is a restaurant back east that served American diner fare and is best known for its ice cream desserts.  Rebecca wanted dessert, so we ordered the Royal Banana Split, thinking we had a win:win situation.  Rebecca would enjoy the 3 flavors of ice cream and Mariah, our fairly new eater, would have a yummy banana to keep her happy.  When the ice cream creation arrived, however, Rebecca wanted the banana.  Out of my mouth, before I even thought about it came:  "No you cannot have the banana, you must eat your ice cream."  Really?  I just insisted that my young daugher eat ice cream in lieu of a healthy banana?  Brian nearly lost it, while I sputtered and attempted to make it sound reasonable that I just said what I said as my 2-year old was tearing up!!!  I can only imagine the looks on the faces of the diners around us if they overheard me!

Yes, we've all said things we never imagined saying, but some are much more memorable than others and provide humor for years to come!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Oh, dear.

    I found your blog and am enjoying it. I'm sure you could fill a book of all your family's funny stories.

    One of the things I never imagined doing was swatting a mosquito on Gabriel's head as an infant. I was so focused on catching the darn thing that I smacked him right up side the head before I realized what I had done. It was too late for the wailing baby. Poor kiddo!

    ReplyDelete